The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod compiled a Congregational Treasurer’s Manual to provide information on the various duties of a congregational treasurer.
The congregational manual is written for every treasurer — no matter what the level of expertise — and is organized into two volumes, containing six major sections:
- Employment Issues
- Federal and State Tax Matters
- Establishing and Administering the Organization
- Supporting Organizations
- Accounting and Finance
Highlights of the manual include:
- Payroll and bookkeeping chapters that address tax, accounting, and finance issues for the organization and its employees.
- Examples and filled-in forms of a sample congregation’s bookkeeping system, including payroll form and related federal tax reports.
- Recommended practices by the tax and legal counsel of the Synod for all LCMS congregations and schools. (Please note: These may not be the only methods of reporting taxes and payroll.)