Update from President Harrison
In this Life Together News Digest, the Rev. Dr. Matthew C. Harrison, president of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS), takes the opportunity during Lent to discuss the importance and discipline of prayer.
Harrison points us to Rev. Dr. Martin Luther’s tract A Simple Way to Pray and to Luther’s method of starting with a text from Scripture or the catechism and asking: “What does this text instruct me about God? What do I have to give thanks for? What do I have to confess by way of sin?”
Readers can learn more about Luther’s 1535 prayer guide and download an accompanying Bible study by the Rev. Dr. John W. Sias, LCMS secretary.
The March 2023 edition also includes:
- Photos from recent Set Apart to Serve, Specialized Pastoral Ministry and Life Ministry conferences;
- An introduction to the Synod’s 2023–2026 National Offering, which will support efforts to help people hear the Good News of the Gospel in several languages;
- A story on Dr. Erik P. Ankerberg’s installation as president of Concordia University Wisconsin and Ann Arbor;
- A feature on the “Nones,” the fastest-growing religious group in America;
- A story on the Lutz family’s generations of missionary service; and
- Notable resources, upcoming events, KFUO podcasts and more.
Life Together News Digest
Life Together, a monthly email news digest from LCMS President Matthew C. Harrison, features highlights from Synod publications and multimedia outlets. There is something for pastors, church workers and laity.